Day 97: Zurich, Murten & Bern day-trip


Since I missed breakfast on my Tuesday visit, I started today with a nice breakfast at the G-office ^o^


We also visited the aquatic lounge since it was closed during my visit the other day. It was definitely a very conducive-to-napping/resting-looking lounge! ^-^

I took the noon train out to Murten, which required a switch at Bern. I got on the right train at the switch, but I think maybe the wrong car of the train. I ended up in Neuchatel! It was basically a loss of an hour. I finally arrived in Murten a little past 3pm (and not in Bern again until 5pm). For the little bit that I was there, Murten was cute. Tiny with nice ramparts. Houses with window plants and pretty lawns.


I've never seen so many tram lines all crisscrossing each other as I saw in Bern!

I was surprised by all the people out by the community pool at 5:30pm on a weekday! But after traveling these months, maybe I shouldn't have been surprised. Unlike the work-work-work attitude of many Americans, Europeans have a much more balanced outlook on enjoying life's pleasures. In the U.S., it's almost as if people take pride in and compete on not having enough time. It feels the opposite here.


Einstein lived in Bern? I didn't know that. Apparently his couple of years in Bern was when he wrote his greatest papers, one of which won him the Nobel Prize. The house was closed at the time I was walking by, but I felt a teeny tiny bit of extra enlightenment just from being there ^_~


The apartments in Bern struck me as being more uniform than I've seen in many other cities.


Rather than seeing bears at the bear pits, I was met by this >_< Their last bear died just a couple of months ago, on April 30th, and they're not getting new bears until October.


I debated going up to the rose garden, but I did and I wasn't disappointed. There were more people just hanging out (even a group doing taichi), and I saw a beautiful view of Bern on my way up.

I didn't make it back home until nearly 10pm ^-^;;

0 comments:

Post a Comment