Instead, I visited the weekly Wednesday market in the train station. Compared to other markets we've seen, Zurich is quite orderly and also quite varied. There's very little overlap between the stalls and quite a few prepared food stalls. I went around lunch time, so all the many tables laid out in the middle of the market were filled with locals eating the market food.

It was my first time seeing bell-pepper-shaped eggplants.
I also went to visit one of the Asian groceries in the city. The size was just a bit smaller than the one we have "near" (30 minutes drive) my parents' house in Jersey. I couldn't help myself -- I bought tofu. After eating tofu yesterday at lunch, I just had a craving for even more tofu, silken, drizzled with soy sauce and dashi, topped with bonito flakes. I bought the silken tofu and I'll just have to make do with only soy sauce, but it's better than nothing. It was 300g for 2.75 CHF, more than twice what I'd pay in the States O_o
K reflects that it was good we didn't end up moving to Zurich. We both knew the cold weather would do him in, though it's been quite *hot* these last few days. But also, everything here is expensive! I think I could survive and get used to the prices. And there are things I like (it's pretty clean compared to other cities and it has a good transportation system), but I wouldn't want K complaining every day. Then again, he doesn't do grocery shopping, so he wouldn't see the more expensive grocery prices. I'm not sure at what point we'd be able to stomach the prices for eating out Chinese here though. Also, D says I'm bored of Europe. I think 'bored' is a bit extreme, just ready for other types of adventures ^_~
0 comments:
Post a Comment