Day 58: Vienna

When the Hawaiian-guy-in-Rhine-Valley said there were a lot of bakeries in Vienna, he wasn't joking. There's bakeries all over the place! I started the day with a yummy, bad-but-pretend-good-for-you whole wheat croissant ^-^

We started with the RS tram tour, but at some point the tram started going in an unexpected direction. Once we realized it wasn't heading where we wanted, we got off, and then found another tram to get on to continue the tour at a later point. Either RS messed up, or they changed the tram lines on him =/

We then walked. Everywhere!


It seems like much of Vienna was under construction. Downturn of economy = fewer tourists = time to make things look better? We seem to have hit a lot of construction this trip.


They're quite crazy with the facades while things are getting fixed though!

We went up the elevator to the north tower (the south tower was being worked on, as shown above), but it turns out that Vienna is probably the most disappointing city view we've seen. There just wasn't much to see O_o

Our last sightseeing stop of the day was Hofburg Palace, but only the apartments; we have to go back tomorrow to see the treasury. We could have seen the treasury, too, but we wanted to make sure we'd get tickets for the opera ^-^ Standing room tickets to Die Walkure, four euros per ticket, are only sold a couple of hours before the show starts.

If I lived in Vienna, I'd probably go to the opera quite often. It's very cool! I always thought of opera as one of those things that only the 'privileged' could get to see, cost being a factor. Not here though; even the general public can see the opera quite easily.

The standing room tickets were cheap, but I don't know if many people are actually capable of standing and watching the *whole* opera. They don't let you sit either! There was this one woman who tried to sit on the floor and just listen to the opera, but then the usher came and told her she had to stay standing.

Though the whole opera was in German, you don't have to understand German. In front of each standing spot is a little digital display that shows the current lyrics being sung, and you can change the display to show English, or German!

K and I stayed for a little over an hour, which I thought was pretty impressive, considering we'd just spent the whole day walking! If it weren't for that, we probably could have stood through the whole opera. At least our legs and feet would have been ok, but I don't think K can listen to a whole opera.


After we left the opera house is when we came across the huge screen outside on the opera house building showing the opera *live* and people sitting on the ground in front of it. This is exactly what I'd do if I lived here. Cheap standing-room tickets vs free however-comfy-you-make-it outside seating, decent choices for good opera.

0 comments:

Post a Comment