Day 48: Krakow

Walk through the Old Town and Wawel Castle area. Took us basically the whole day. The weather reports said rain, rain, rain for all of our days here, but we had a sunny day for the most part today. It started raining right as we were returning back to our hostel ^-^

The Wawel Castle area had lots of schoolkids on field trips. The Old Town did, too, in the late late afternoon. Towards the end of our touring of the castle grounds is when I noticed that the kids seemed to be giving us curious looks. Right. We've only seen maybe a handful of Asian tourists today, and absolutely no Asian tour groups. In fact, I'm not sure we saw any non-Polish non-school-kid tour groups. Some say Krakow is the next Prague. I think it's somewhere I'd come back to, and hopefully, it's still relatively undiscovered by then. The kids were cute; definitely shy when compared to the kids we met in Turkey. At one point, K and I were setting up to take a tripod picture together when I realized there was this girl standing to my left having her friend take a cellphone picture of her with me in the same picture. When I turned to her, she let go of her shyness a bit and indicated she wanted a picture with me. K says maybe my small celebrity status is due to them having seen even fewer *young* Asian tourists. After all, I still look eighteen to some.

Bought a new bag of cereal. Bag, not box. All the cereal comes in just a plastic bag without a box, but the plastic is sturdier plastic than you'd find in a cereal box. I love it! A half empty box of cereal takes up too much space and the extra box is just excess weight.

I've been getting used to the 'paying for your grocery bag' thing. My 20-swiss-franc-cent grocery bag I paid for in Zurich has held up amazingly well. The grocery bags here are only 7 zloty cents (~$0.02). It's the lowest price we've seen. Is it enough of a negative incentive to make people re-use their grocery bags? The comparatively lower price does come at a trade-off though -- the quality of the bags are lower than the ones we've encountered in other countries.

0 comments:

Post a Comment