K's working early and late today. Early, just because I'm probably still sleeping, and late, so he can match Cali-time a bit. He comes back in late late afternoon and we make a trip to the COOP supermarket across the street.
They close at 6:30pm! We're not used to seeing supermarkets (maybe small groceries, but not supermarkets) close so early. I saw a whole aisle of choco yesterday at Migros... today, I bought some and decided to go with COOP brand. It says something about Swiss chocolates when even the supermarket brand is yummy. I picked a 60% cocoa with almond creme that even K could enjoy.
After seeing all the locals carrying their own reusable bags or buying and reusing one of the semi-well-constructed paper COOP bags, I felt compelled to also pay 30 cent euros for one, and I did.
K stayed home until after dinner. He rested (keeping some jetlag alive) while I researched Salzburg and Hallstatt more, trips I would be making on my own this week. Actually, I was going to leave for Salzburg today, but decided to postpone for a day because I started getting tons of pain in my upper left arm late last night. By pushing the trip out a day, I also pushed my black forest day trip to July.
Originally, Salzburg and Hallstatt were on our itinerary, but K said he wasn't all that interested in Salzburg, and we thought it would be close enough for me to travel to/from Zurich by myself. Turns out it's a bit further than we thought. Oops!
Others who know how I am (myself included) might be quite surprised that, no, I didn't already have lodging booked for tomorrow night. On reflection, it's not entirely out of character. It's Salzburg, not Paris, and it's April, so decent places to sleep should be ok to find. Plus, I'm traveling by myself, for only a short period of time, which means slightly lower standards. All in all, I also have maximum flexibility. Anyways, I called the place I planned on staying at and booked a bed in a 4-bed female dorm... 19 euros a night. There still is a possibility I might not do Salzburg & Hallstatt this week, but I figured it's better to make the reservation first anyways and cancel in a bit if I have to.
I looked up train times and noted details (train #'s, transfers, gate #'s, etc) for -
- Zurich to Salzburg
- Salzburg to Hallstatt
- Hallstatt to Zurich
K worked late into the night and then I got the laptop again. Sometimes, I think it would have been nice to buy something lightweight prior to the trip like a Netbook so that we wouldn't need to share one laptop, but oh well.
Somehow I didn't get to sleep until almost 3am.
0 comments:
Post a Comment