
Our first encounter with state-of-the-art Japanese bathrooms. This was probably the handicapped bathroom. It had three stalls, each one quite spacious and containing a multi-function toilet and changing table. The door to the stall was a button-operated sliding door. You would assume the button would not open the door from the outside of an occupied stall; designs guard against human error, right? But K discovered quite accidentally that this was not true. He managed to miss the 'occupied' indicator on the button he pressed, opening the door on some poor chap.
Our first night in Tokyo was at a capsule hotel. Usually capsule hotels are used by people who missed the last train or for some other reason are not returning to their usual homes that night. Most capsule hotels are men-only, but I managed to find one that has a floor for women (the other floors are men-only). Yes, this meant K and I were actually on different floors. But we were pretty much going right to sleep anyways.
Explaining the layout of a capsule hotel floor is easier with a picture; the women's floor...

To pay for the night, we used a vending machine...

They provide towels, pajamas, and a toothbrush (and slippers since shoes are not allowed on the premises). But you can also pay for other amenities via the above vending machine (even various clothing items, since most people stay there unexpectedly). Each person also gets a combination locker (on the same floor as their capsule), and they allowed us to store our suitcase in the backroom, where we saw many other suitcases. Guess there's quite a few other travelers.
I met a few of these other travelers during the night. Two girls had been there for two previous nights already. It was from them that I learned why toothpaste wasn't also provided with my toothbrush. The toothpaste was in the brush itself already! (Entirely Japanese to think of doing something so ingenious!)
Another couple of girls returned from partying at 2am, Australians who apparently had a blast introducing sake bombs to some Japanese men. They themselves had discovered sake bombs during a trip to California. (Brings back fond memories of my one encounter with food poisoning.)
A bunch of floors for men, the 8th floor for women, and communal shower/baths on the 9th floor (with separate ones for men and women, of course). Since I went up to take a shower quite late, I only encountered one other person, who was leaving as I was entering. I had mentally prepared myself for showering in front of others, but I was quite happy that I didn't actually have to. A couple of things to note about Japanese shower/baths -- you shower and wash well *before* entering the bath, which is blazing hot but should temporary soak away all your cares.
Each capsule is equipped with a pillow, blankets, privacy screen, dimmable light, alarm clock, radio, and TV (and pay-for-porn supposedly).


The futon pad was kind of thin but I managed to sleep alright.
K didn't like it much and this will probably be our only time ever staying in a capsule hotel, but I think it's ok for entirely-non-pampered, single budget travelers (oh, and you must be ok with the communal shower/bath or intend to not shower).
0 comments:
Post a Comment