Day 11: Halong Bay

7:20am. Wake.

We set the alarm for 6am to try and catch the sunrise again, but the boat is pretty close to the tall islands in the east... it's unlikely we'll see a sunrise, so I go back to sleep until just a little before breakfast while K stays up and takes the camera in case a valid sunrise is spotted.

After breakfast, the boat heads to Sung Sot Cave, aka Surprise Cave, discovered not too long ago. The inside of the cave is another amazing site. The lighting is, of course, fairly low so picture-taking is quite difficult. Flash adds too much light and no flash results in a blurry picture -_-. An ok picture that Beilie took...


About 2/3 of the way through, K says to me, "I have a surprise for you in this Surprise Cave" and hands me a round box (with a cute penguin) on top. "Happy Birthday", he says. Oh right, it *is* my birthday! (Long vacation distorts conception of time.) I'm quite confused because we had been carrying the penguin box in our luggage all along... and it was a b-day present for Xiao with whom we'll meet up in Phuket... so I was led to believe.

I open the box, and inside is another smaller penguin box, and inside that one, another smaller penguin box (yes, one of "those"), and inside that, a ring. ????!!?!? (We had agreed to not have a formal proposal.........)

Emotional me, I start crying. K asks the formal question. I respond, "I guess..." (yea, I'm quite shocked at this point) and eventually manage to get out a "yes".


Actually, Surprise Cave was supposed to be in our Halong Bay Day 2 itinerary, but K apparently asked the tour guide to move it to the 3rd day to coincide with my birthday. Also turns out Beilie was in on it for the past two months... initial planning was the weekend I was in Maine for J's knot-tying.

Nothing's changed... we both knew we were getting married sometime, everyone else knew we were getting married sometime, and that sometime is still "sometime"... except I guess 'sometime' now probably has to be within something like at most three years, from a traditional standpoint (not that it wouldn't be anyways). So much for eschewing tradition and not having a proposal 'story'...

Much pamper-age this year-end, yes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment